Winery founded in 1956
It was founded on 20 November 1955 by a group of growers from Aldeanueva de Ebro. Months later, in February 1956, the first Articles of Association were drafted and they began building the winery. Those founding partners joined together with the goal of uniting together against the few buyers of the time, who took advantage of the dispersed offering of grape growers in the small town.
Throughout the 1960s, the bodega expanded to accommodate increased production needs from fruit from the new plantations and the arrival of new members who were attracted by the growth of the company.
In the 1970s the first bottling plant was installed —employing primarily manual processes— and the first bottled wines were put on the market. The wine was consumed mainly by the members and a few local clients.
In the 1980s, sales expanded in the domestic market and the first bottling line was replaced with more efficient, more advanced equipment. Towards the end of the decade, Bodegas San Isidro S. Coop. acquired a major share portion of Bodegas Berberana, becoming its main shareholder and holding position of chair of the board of directors.
In 1995, the share in Bodegas Berberana was sold and a major expansion, vinification and bottling project was implemented, with the first facilities in which wines could be aged. The bodega soon changed its name from Bodegas San Isidro to Viñedos de Aldeanueva, seeking to set itself apart from the numerous other winemaking co-operatives in the country that use the name of the patron saint of growers.
In 2001, a new management team took over. From that moment and with this professionalized management implemented, a strategy to achieve sales of 13 million bottles per annum is attained.
Population: 2.725 habitantes.
Surface area: 39 km2.
Distance from Logroño: 59 km.
Altitude: 343 m above sea level
From Calahorra, travelling along the N-232 towards Saragossa, leaving the River Ebro on the left, you will arrive at the town of Aldeanueva de Ebro. The town’s name translates as ‘new hamlet of the Ebro’ and it is locally known as the town of the three lies, because it is neither new nor a hamlet and it is not situated on the banks of the Ebro, although some of its land is. Aldeanueva de Ebro rises against the wind on the plateau that runs from the slopes of Mount Yerga to the River Ebro, on a natural promontory that is topped by the parish church of San Bartolomé, visible from a distance of several kilometres, with its svelte brick tower standing out against the horizon.